The Benefits Of Eating Seasonal And Local Food
If you want to incorporate healthy food into your diet eating with the seasons is vital. Seasonal and local food ensures you benefit from maximum freshness and taste. Keeping that in mind, read on to discover everything you need to know about adopting this approach to eating and cooking.
The benefits of eating with the seasons
- It’s healthier – There is no denying that seasonal eating is much better for you. Fruits and vegetables that are in season have the most nutrients, as they have been given the opportunity to fully ripen. They also correspond to the body’s seasonal needs. For instance, oranges are great for the immune system and warding off common winter colds. They are in season from December until March, which ensures you get a good dose of Vitamin C when you really need it.
- It’s cheaper – The production of seasonal food is a lot less time consuming and labour intensive than procuring food that is out of season. This makes it a lot cheaper and the cost savings will undoubtedly be passed onto you – the consumer.
- It’s greener – We all recognise how vital it is to do our bit for the environment nowadays. By choosing to eat seasonal foods you will be going a long way to doing so. Firstly, seasonal foods tend to contain fewer chemicals. This is because a lot of out of season foods are given wax coatings, chemical-ripening agents and such like to make sure they look more attractive to customers. Aside from this, seasonal food is also greener because it travels much shorter distances.
- It’s tastier – You can really taste the difference between foods that have had the chance to naturally and fully ripen before they have been picked when contrasted to those that have not. This will make your dishes taste much more delicious.
How to do it
- If you want to eat with the seasons then the best thing to do is go to a local farmer’s market or food market. You will get a real sense for what is being harvested during the time of year in question and so when you are next shopping in your local grocery store you will know what is in season and what is local. You also need to look for the best kitchen knives available and other critical utensils so that you can make sure the food is prepared properly so you do not distract from the wonderful tastes and textures.
Some of the best vegetables to enjoy during winter
- Brussels Sprouts
- Savoy Cabbage
- Jerusalem Artichokes
- Sprouting Broccoli
Hopefully, you now have a better understanding of why it is so vital to eat seasonal foods. Why not get started with some of the winter vegetables that have been mentioned?