- Definitions and Interpretation
In this Policy the following terms shall have the following meanings:
|“Account”||means an account required to access and/or use certain areas and features of my Site|
|“Cookie”||means a small text file placed on your computer or device by my Site when you visit certain parts of my Site and/or when you use certain features of my Site. Details of the Cookies used by my Site are set out below; and|
|[“Cookie Law”||means the relevant parts of the Privacy and Electronic Communications (EC Directive) Regulations 2003;]|
What does this policy cover?
What is Personal Data?
Personal data is defined by the General Data Protection Regulation (EU Regulation 2016/679) (the “GDPR”) as ‘any information relating to an identifiable person who can be directly or indirectly identified in particular by reference to an identifier’.
Personal data is, in simpler terms, any information about you that enables you to be identified. Personal data covers obvious information such as your name and contact details, but it also covers less obvious information such as identification numbers, electronic location data, and other online identifiers.
What Are My Rights?
Under the GDPR, you have the following rights, which I will always work to uphold:
- The right to access the personal data I hold about you. A section below will tell you how to do this.
- The right to have your personal data rectified if any of your personal data held by me is inaccurate or incomplete. Please contact me using the details below to find out more.
- The right to be forgotten, i.e. the right to ask me to delete or otherwise dispose of any of your personal data that I have. Please contact me using the details below to find out more.
- The right to restrict (i.e. prevent) the processing of your personal data.
- The right to object to me using your personal data for a particular purpose or purposes.
- The right to data portability. This means that, if you have provided personal data to me directly, I am using it with your consent or for the performance of a contract, and that data is processed using automated means, you can ask me for a copy of that personal data to re-use with another service or business in many cases.
- Rights relating to automated decision-making and profiling. I do not use your personal data in this way.
Further information about your rights can also be obtained from the Information Commissioner’s Office or your local Citizens Advice Bureau.
If you have any cause for complaint about my use of your personal data, you have the right to lodge a complaint with the Information Commissioner’s Office.
What personal data I collect and why I collect it
Personal information you provide
You may provide me with personal data such as your name or email address. This may be when completing a contact form, leaving a comment or signing up for my newsletter.
Personal data I collect
- Email address;
- Information about your preferences and interests;
- IP address;
- Web browser type and version;
- Operating system;
- A list of URLs starting with a referring site, your activity on my Site, and the site you exit to;
How Do I Use Your Personal Data?
Under the GDPR, I must always have a lawful basis for using personal data. This may be because the data is necessary for my performance of a contract with you, because you have consented to my use of your personal data, or because it is in my legitimate business interests to use it. Your personal data will be used for one of the following purposes:
- Providing and managing your access to my Site;
- Personalising and tailoring your experience on my Site;
- Supplying my services to you. Your personal details are required in order for me to enter into a contract with you.
- Personalising and tailoring my products or services for you.
- Communicating with you. This may include responding to emails or calls from you.
- Supplying you with information by email that you have opted-in to (you may unsubscribe or opt-out at any time by clicking unsubscribe in any email I send you.
- Analysing your use of my Site and gathering feedback to enable me to continually improve my site and your user experience.
With your permission and/or where permitted by law, I may also use your personal data for marketing purposes, which may include contacting you by email with information, news, and offers on my products or services. You will not be sent any unlawful marketing or spam. I will always work to fully protect your rights and comply with my obligations under the GDPR and the Privacy and Electronic Communications (EC Directive) Regulations 2003, and you will always have the opportunity to opt-out.
How Long Will I Keep Your Personal Data?
I will not keep your personal data for any longer than is necessary in light of the reason(s) for which it was first collected. Your personal data will therefore be kept for the following periods (or, where there is no fixed period, the following factors will be used to determine how long it is kept):
- The life of this website
How and Where Do I Store or Transfer Your Personal Data?
I will only store or transfer your personal data in the UK. This means that it will be fully protected under the GDPR.
Do I Share Your Personal Data?
In some limited circumstances, I may be legally required to share certain personal data, which might include yours, if I am involved in legal proceedings or complying with legal obligations, a court order, or the instructions of a government authority.
I may sometimes contract with the following third parties to supply certain products or services. These may include payment processing, delivery, and marketing. In some cases, those third parties may require access to some or all of your personal data that I hold.
When you contact me via a contact form you will be asked to provide your email address. This will allow me, if necessary, to contact you via email. I will not use your personal information for any purpose besides contacting you regarding your query. You are able to use the form anonymously but I will be unable to respond to your query.
Subscribing to mattscafe.co.uk
When you subscribe to new posts, newsletters or other services on mattscafe.co.uk you will be required to double opt-in. You will be sent an email to subscribe, and you will be required to click a link within that email to subscribe.
You are able to unsubscribe at any time by clicking the Unsubscribe link within my newsletter or new post emails or by contacting me at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please ensure that you are emailing from the email address that you want to unsubscribe from.
Commenting on mattscafe.co.uk
Any comments that you leave on this blog may be public, as they will be displayed at the bottom of blog posts.
Your name will be seen by others, but your email address will remain private. Although I have access to this. Leaving your email address here will not sign you up for any services and information left in comments will not be shared with third parties. If you tick the relevant box you may receive an email notifying you if someone has replied to your comment. You can opt-in, or opt-out, of this at any time.
Your IP address is logged when you leave a comment. This is not public.
Please note that I reserve the right to decline to publish any comments.
This website is hosted by Stablepoint. Personal information will be collected when you visit this website. Read Stablepoints Terms of Service here.
mattscafe.co.uk has a backup that runs daily. A website backup creates a copy of all of the information on this website, including comments, photographs, blog posts and settings for the theme to run this blog, to ensure that the blog can be restored if a problem arises, including website breakdown, hacking or data breach. Previous backups are kept for 30 days on the Speedydot servers, as this is where I host this website.
Ads that target your past use of my website
Blogging Network Badges
I hold badges for the Foodiess100. These badges can obtain additional data including your IP address.
Affiliate Links and Networks
I use affiliate links and advertisements from affiliate networks to provide you with links on this website. This means that I enter into a relationship with an affiliate company, place a link within a post and I receive remuneration if you use that link. This is at no cost to you. Also, a cookie will be placed within your browser to ensure that any sales or sign-ups are tracked back to my website, to allow me to receive remuneration.
mattscafe is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to (“mattscafe.co.uk” (amazon.co.uk). Using affiliate links on this website will not cost you more money but may earn me an affiliate commission.
Content embedded in this website from other websites
How Can I Control My Personal Data?
- In addition to your rights under the GDPR, set out above, when you submit personal data via mySite, you may be given options to restrict My use of your personal data. In particular, I aim to give you strong controls on My use of your data for direct marketing purposes (including the ability to opt-out of receiving emails from me which you may do by unsubscribing using the links provided in My emails.
- You may also wish to sign up to one or more of the preference services operating in the UK: The Telephone Preference Service (“the TPS”), the Corporate Telephone Preference Service (“the CTPS”), and the Mailing Preference Service (“the MPS”). These may help to prevent you receiving unsolicited marketing. Please note, however, that these services will not prevent you from receiving marketing communications that you have consented to receive.
Can I Withhold Information?
How Can I Access My Personal Data?
If you want to know what personal data I have about you, you can ask me for details of that personal data and for a copy of it (where any such personal data is held). This is known as a “subject access request”.
There is not normally any charge for a subject access request. If your request is ‘manifestly unfounded or excessive’ (for example, if you make repetitive requests) a fee may be charged to cover My administrative costs in responding.
I will respond to your subject access request within one month and, in any case, not more than one month of receiving it. Normally, I aim to provide a complete response, including a copy of your personal data within that time. In some cases, however, particularly if your request is more complex, more time may be required up to a maximum of three months from the date I receive your request. You will be kept fully informed of My progress.
I may change this Privacy Notice from time to time. This may be necessary, for example, if the law changes, or if I change My business in a way that affects personal data protection.
What happens if I suffer a data breach?
Mediavine Programmatic Advertising
The Website uses Mediavine to manage all third-party advertising on the Website. Mediavine serves content and advertisements when you visit the Website, which may use first and third-party cookies. A cookie is a small text file which is sent to your computer or mobile device (referred to in this policy as a “device”) by the web server so that a website can remember some information about your browsing activity on the Website. The cookie may collect information relating to your use of the Website, information about your device such as the device’s IP address and browser type, demographic data and, if you arrived at the Website via a link from a third-party site, the URL of the linking page.
First party cookies are created by the website that you are visiting. A third-party cookie is frequently used in behavioral advertising and analytics and is created by a domain other than the website you are visiting. Third-party cookies, tags, pixels, beacons and other similar technologies (collectively, “Tags”) may be placed on the Website to monitor interaction with advertising content and to target and optimize advertising. Each internet browser has functionality so that you can block both first and third-party cookies and clear your browser’s cache. The “help” feature of the menu bar on most browsers will tell you how to stop accepting new cookies, how to receive notification of new cookies, how to disable existing cookies and how to clear your browser’s cache. For more information about cookies and how to disable them, you can consult the information at www.allaboutcookies.org/manage-cookies/.
Without cookies you may not be able to take full advantage of the Website content and features. Please note that rejecting cookies does not mean that you will no longer see ads when you visit our Site.
The Website may collect IP addresses and location information to serve personalized ads and pass it to Mediavine. If you would like more information about this practice and to know your choices to opt-in or opt-out of this data collection, please visit https://www.networkadvertising.org/managing/opt_out.asp. You may also visit https://optout.aboutads.info/#/ and https://optout.networkadvertising.org/# to learn more information about interest-based advertising. You may download the AppChoices app at https://www.aboutads.info/appchoices to opt out in connection with mobile apps, or use the platform controls on your mobile device to opt out.
Mediavine partners with the following data processors:
This document was last updated on 23 June 2020.